Sunday, August 28, 2016

Wifi password lost on shutdown/reset

Hi,

I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for some time. The basic problem is that every time the device is shutdown/reset the existing wifi data including known hotspots and passwords is lost.

I have tried factory resetting the tablet (Samsung Note 10.1 SM-T520), along with flashing various stock 4.4.2 Roms (i.e. different release dates and different countries). The tablet was purchased in the US and gifted to my mum in New Zealand, it originally had a stock US rom and now has the NZ rom loaded. Unfortunately Samsung's warranty required us to ship the tablet back to the US to investigate the problem (they would not look at it in NZ as it was not from NZ).

Based on some other threads, I thought it was a problem with the wpa_supplicant.conf file. So I rooted the phone using CF root through odin. I have looked at the wpa_supplicant.conf file and noticed that every time the device is shutdown/reset the
Code:

network={
}

section is removed.

When the device is turned on and I enter the network password the wpa_supplicant.conf file will be updated with the network information and as I said when shutdown this information is removed.

In the data/misc/wifi/sockets folder (which the wpa_supplicant.conf references) are the following 4 files:
  1. p2p0
  2. wlan
  3. wpa_ctrl_2719-7
  4. wpa_ctrl_2719-8

This has been an ongoing problem for a year now and has driven me to the point of insanity.

Also, the problem was not originally solely related to the wifi data but also other common settings (i.e. app positioning on the home screen, stored settings), however, after some tinkering and flashing various stock roms some of the problems I was having before I have not been able to re-produce. I am waiting until the battery runs out to see if my home screen will return to the default factory state along with other settings which initially was part of the problem.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated I am happy to do any troubleshooting that may shed some light on the problem. The tablet is current rooted with a stock NZ room running 4.4.2.

Thanks


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2bKGDtW
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment