Sunday, April 17, 2016

Removing FireOS 5.1.2 and replacing with stock Lollipop?

Hi there,

I've been cruising these forums for a while and have managed to root my device, get adb setup, and TWRP installed. An unfortunate bit seems to be that you cannot leave TWRP installed and actually boot the device. I managed to get stuck in a boot loop having not restored the 5.4.1 bootloaders. I turned the device off and rebooted into TWRP, flashed the 5.4.1 bootloaders, rebooted, and I'm golden. However, this doesn't really get me anywhere.

So my goal here is to just wipe all this FireOS crap and turn this tablet into a normal android tablet. I've seen plenty of posts about it but cannot seem to find any single post that would achieve this for my specific device and software version. So I'm coming here for help.

Mostly, what I have done so far has come from this thread: http://ift.tt/1WuDPiL

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, this process does not remove FireOS and replace it with stock Lollipop, it just updates you to 5.1.2 (which I'm already at) and installs GAPPS. It does not really have a "pure" Android install and it somehow retains the FireOS as the primary OS.

Now, please correct me if I am wrong here with any of the above (this is not a hobby of mine) but since I've rooted a few devices before I figured I could handle it. It seemed like a bargain getting this Fire HD 7 used for like $64... if only I can get it onto stock Android. I'm basically trying to make it a Nexus 7.

Since I CAN get into TWRP, I figure I should just be able to flash a custom ROM right? I've just been having a really hard time finding a stock Lollipop ROM specifically for my device. From what I've heard, flashing the new ROM is the most error-prone part of this type of stuff and can totally brick the device if it were not meant for it. If that did happen, I would need to be able to boot the device back up, get an adb connection, run the scripts that flash the correct bootloaders (post #2, section 101, from the link above) so I can reboot into TWRP and fix it. Perhaps understandably so, I've been very hesitant to just go trying things willy-nilly that I don't fully understand.

Could anyone offer any assistance? Perhaps just point me in the right direction? I've probably read most of the threads you'll likely link, so a short bit of context to how something pertains to my specific device as well as the link could help me significantly. The guides that people write usually contain updates and are quite difficult to follow to the "T" and half the time I'm not even sure something I'm doing actually pertains to my device.

[EDIT] I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5hHSCO_o8) but it looks like he's doing that on a previous generation Fire so, again, I'm not sure it will work and don't want to try and then brick it.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1Nhwxxe
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment