Thursday, February 25, 2016

5.0.5 firmware will not let me wake up from remote; not sure which user settings uses

I use my tv remote to control my firetv over hdmi, and previously, the 'escape/back' button would wake up the firetv. after 5.0.5, it no longer works. The simplest solution i can think of is to keep the screensaver on all the time (i like it). I found this post that says you can configure the screen_off_timeout via adb

- stupid rules prevent me from posting link. so here's the text from the other webpage -

Quote:

you could try adb commands
//Will set screensaver time adb shell settings put system screensaver_timeout 30000
//Will set sleep time adb shell settings put system screen_off_timeout 300000000
permalink
[–]mattgyver83[S] 2 points 1 year ago*
Oh wow this sounds right up my alley and I have an adb session open to my ftv as we speak, it's fate I tell ya!
update:So I did it and just figured id post my findings here in case anyone else follows suit. First of all heres the conversions for the numbers reported from the 'get' variant of these commands;
1000 = 1 Second
60000 = 1 Min
3600000 = 1 Hour
86400000 = 1 Day
2147460000 = "Never" 24 days
So, I didnt modify the screen saver because that can be done via the UI but i did the screen_off_timeout and I just set that to the same value as the "Never" Option for the screen saver because assuming the TV is not touched in 24 days, im dead.
Thanks for your help ill update if it worked as expected and fixes the problem!
However, it doesn't work - and it seems that settings now has a per user settings

Code:

|shell@bueller:/etc $ settings
usage:  settings [--user NUM] get namespace key
        settings [--user NUM] put namespace key value       
        settings [--user NUM] delete namespace key  'namespace' is one of {system, secure, global}, case-insensitive
 If '--user NUM' is not given, the operations are performed on the owner user.

so I'm not sure which user NUM I should use, or if it's just ignored now. My most recent attempt is to brute force it

Code:

i=0; while [ $(($i)) -le 5000 ]; do i=$(($i + 1)); settings --user $i put system screen_off_timeout 2147460000; done;
not sure what to do - next step would be to try to root the box which just seems like a pain that i would like to avoid. my fire tv stick still works fine over hdmi (esc to wake it up) so I think it's a unique issue with the fire tv (1st gen).

Any thoughts?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1QInKpt
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment