Friday, May 27, 2016

Custom ROM bricks when loaded from ZIP via CWM

I've recently looked into creating my own roms for some fun and learning experience.

The device I'm testing with is a Galaxy S4 (I9505)
I flashed a rom I obtained from Sammobile, the rom is a UK version and doesn't appear to be network locked.
After flashing the device with the rom everything has been fine. I then went on to root the phone and add ClockWorkMod.

ROM FILENAME: I9505XXUHOJ2_I9505YXYHOK1_I9505XXUHOJ2_HOME.tar.md 5

All has been fine up until now.
I then downloaded Android Kitchen and got it setup on Ubuntu, added the ROM in and setup the workspace as instructed by nearly all tutorials.
I then added some custom APKs and enabled custom boot animations.

After which I chose to build from the working directory and went with the lazy mode.

This is where everything stops working out well.
To start off with CWM couldn't read the ZIP archive (Of the new ROM from Kitchen)
I couldn't get CWM to mount my SDCard. I tried everything.

In the end I pushed my custom ROM to the device using `adb push`, then CWM decided it would work and install.
However after install the phone reboots and gets stuck at the boot screen with the Samsung logo.

Did I do something wrong?
It feels wrong that Android Kitchen outputs a simple ZIP Archive with the following contents:
- data
- META-INF
- system
- boot.img
- flash_image
- modem.bin

But I don't know any better, tutorials fail to mention what to specifically expect other than a ZIP Archive.

To cut it short.
The ROM worked perfectly fine when I flashed it through Odin.
However after it went through Android Kitchen with no major changes on my part (I didn't touch any files myself other than to add two APKs)
followed by installation via CWM. The ROM suddenly is no longer working and shows "Recovery is not Seandroid Enforcing" followed by a line regarding the Kernel ontop of the boot screen.
I cant full read those two lines as the corner of the screen is cracked.
What changed?

Here's the info output from Kitchen:

Working folder information (v0.224)

Android OS version : 5.0.1
Device : jflte
Model : GT-I9505
ROM Name : TMFKSOFT-I9505
CSC version : I9505YXYHOK1
Rooted (Superuser app + su) : YES
Rooted (unsecured boot.img) : YES
BusyBox installed : NO
BusyBox run-parts support : NO
Apps2SD (Apps to EXT) enabled : NO
/data/app enabled : NO
Custom boot animation allowed : YES
Nano text editor installed : NO
Bash shell support : NO
/system/framework is deodexed : NO
/system/app is deodexed : NO
modem.bin found : YES
ROM will wipe all data : NO


Additionally, apologies if I've posted this in the incorrect topic.
I'm completely new to the forums.
Let me know where it belongs if it's in the wrong place.

Quick Edit:
I've reflashed back to the original ROM mentioned, the .tar.md5 file and the device is perfectly fine again :/


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1NTygth
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment